Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Day at the Thrift Store

Today I was signed to volunteer at the thrift store. At first the head lady called me a spoiled brat because I haven't volunteered much (or ever). I started off cleaning and arranging in the arts and crafts section. When I was arranging, I broke a picture that was already broken. Luckily I had the broom right next to me. Then I went over to a bucket full of crutches, I fell. Those things are hard! Anyway, a little later I met this girl Mariah (no not the singer) who has been volunteering there everyday. She was a year younger than me. I didn't really care. We hung so many clothes. I had to go back to the "back" to get more hangers like 1000 times. After that we swept some more. After a while we started making a pattern-break, sweep, break, sweep, break, sweep, break, break, break. I'm going back on Friday.

5 comments:

shelby bardet said...

wow, do you get paid and if you do how much

where is this place

Desi said...

Hi Sweetie, I think its great that you are volunteering. I am very proud of you for that. Good job. xoxoxo I love you and miss you. I'll try to respond to your other blog post soon.

I miss you
Desi

Unknown said...

Good job Taylor! Very proud of you.

annabug said...

hey girl hey! that is wow! i bet u u get like a buck mabey two!



see ya i love u to death.

Unknown said...

The Thrift store is run by a woman's abuse shelter. All the money supports a home for domestically abused women and their children.
They left their homes with no possessions; no clothes or favorite toys. They rely on the kindness of strangers like Taylor and Liam who donate their time or unwanted possessions so that money can be generated to run the shelter and replenish the lost possessions.
The things that the shelter cannot use are sorted and sold to the public for fractions of the original cost. Taylor and her brother Liam helped clean and organize the large store so that customers could better see what was available.
They worked and played with the children who go there every day with their parents. The shelter store relies on volunteers but has a few full time paid employees.
I was so very proud of Taylor who at first was mortified that she would have to be in such a position. She was given the opportunity to do anything she wanted and after picking a section; worked hard to clean and organize.
We went again on Friday and again she was an asset to behold. I am thinking next time we will go to the Humane Society to volunteer. They need people to clean out dog kennels and kitty boxes. Taylor likes little dogs.
Obie's Assistant Peggy